Summer 2012

10/28/11

One Small Step for Jake, One Big Leap for Mom, (or is it the other way around?)

This week Jake read his first words and small sentences in Phonics.  WOW, I am so proud of him.  And truth be told, proud of me too.  Teaching Kindergarten is challenging to say the least.  I have discovered so many things that we take for granted that we know.  Writing, sounds letters make, using scissors, etc.  Somewhere along the way we have all learned these things and more, but I have never really thought about having to teach them to a wiggling, giggling, smiley 5 year old!  Let's face it, sitting in a chair & listening to Mom ramble on about the number 3 is not exactly the high point of Jake's life.  He'd much rather be watching Cars the Movie, playing the Wii or playing his Leapster.

Sarah is doing well.  I was concerned at first about her Pre-Algebra course but she seems to be doing OK for now.  Things will only get harder so we have arranged, through our school, to have a tutor come to the house to help out.  Math was never my strong subject so I knew I would need some help.

Alex trudges along.  He spends more time counting how many more questions, subjects and lessons are left in the day than he does on actual school work.  He has become alot more self motivated this year and it helps to free me up for the one-on-one that is required for Jake.

No comments:

Post a Comment