Summer 2012

3/3/11

Spring, Please!

We are SO ready for spring.  I am getting so anxious to get out there and start cleaning up the leaves from my flowerbeds.  As I walk around I see a few little green leaves just peeking out of the soil.  We saw what flowers came up here in the summer & fall but not spring.  Every walk in the yard shows me something new.    The curse of living in the woods is that there is not much sun for flowers or a vegetable garden.  I have a side flowerbed that will be the best I can do for some tomatoes and cucumbers.  I have been researching all kinds of shade plants.  Daisy's do well in shade & I love African Daisy's.  Hostas do well also, though I am not real fond of them.  I did find an heirloom variety that gets up to 4 feet tall & 6 feet in diameter.  I have some large areas with nothing in them so I will try this hosta there.  The seeds have been ordered so when they arrive I will get them started.

As for school, the kids have been working very hard these winter months.  They have worked ahead so that they should be done on May 6th, a full month ahead of schedule!!!   Even with Spring Break and the two days out for State Testing at the end of April.  Once this testing is through they will only have 1 week left.  They have been playing outside alot lately.  Bundling up if needed, they see the sun shining and just can't wait to get out there, can't say as I blame them.  I got out the scooters but left the bikes hanging up.  Seems like once they are down all we do is trip over them.

4-H has started up again for this year.  Alex is now old enough to join and will be doing the Gun Safety project.  Sarah is doing what is called Party Planner which covers cooking for large groups, planning dinners, food safety, etc.  They are excited as am I.

We have made it through the winter without illness...........almost.  Kevin was sick last week with what I think was the respiratory flu, missing 2 days of work and Sarah had a bit of a head cold.  Monday I got something in between the two of them, maybe a hybrid bug.  Alex now has alot of head congestion and so far Jake seems unscathed.  I really cannot complain, another benefit of not having them in a traditional public school, less germs.

No comments:

Post a Comment