Summer 2012

3/24/11

We're still here........

I know I have been pretty quiet lately.  We have really been hitting the books so that school will be finished on May 6, a full month before the official end date.  They are ahead in progress as well as the number of hours required for the year.  Alex and I had an online conference with his teacher and she is very happy with his progress and my oversight of what needs done on a daily basis.  He is finished with Spelling, Grammar, History, Art and Analogies so all we have to finish up is Math, Literature, Composition, Science & Music.  Sarah has completed Art and will finish up with Math next week.  Being in 6th grade she has more lessons and most of her classes are all year.  They have both worked very hard and I am very proud of them. 

This whole process has been an adjustment for all of us.  Are there bad days when I get frustrated beyond words?  Yes.  Are there days when I wonder what I was thinking? Yes.  Are there days when they are frustrated and wondering what we were thinking?  I am sure there are for them.  But for me those days are fewer than the good days so I have decided to re-enroll them for next year.  Kevin and I talked it over and he told me that the final decision was mine since I have the work on a day-to-day basis.  If I didn't feel up to it for next year he wasn't going to insist I continue.  We did discuss how we are unhappy with the level of education they were getting in the local school district as well as the social/moral/influence issues that led us to pull them out in the first place.  We still feel as their parents that we have a duty to protect them from what we can and if educating them in the safety of our home helps eliminate some of the bad influences at the local school, then I will take the bad days.

Now if I can just get Sarah to take her time and stop rushing through her lessons and get through re-teaching long division to Alex without having a stroke we are looking forward to a great summer vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment